kensington palace + a whole lot of shopping

Started my day early. While the others continued sleeping, I headed to Primark, the store selling super cheap clothes. How cheap? Say GBP 3 (RM 15) for a knit top and GBP 5 (RM 25) for a pair of trousers. Some could even go down to GBP 1 (RM 5) a piece. There was also a full rack of winter jackets on sale. Price in Malaysia? RM 300 or more. Price at Primark? GBP 5 (RM 25). Tourists went crazy over them!

As I was waiting for the train, I saw this, far away across the track. My former colleague and her two sons!

I quickly ran and stood directly opposite of her and waved. Thank goodness she saw me, and of course, she was shocked! It was impossible to communicate, so we exchanged hand signals and read each other’s lips...

“How long are you here?”
“Call me!”
“But I don’t have your number!”
“E-mail me! Use my office mail!”
***Spelled out her office mail ID***
“Okay!”

Fortunately I still roughly remember her office mail ID, so it wasn’t hard for me to guess when she spelt it. Her train came by and off she went with her sons. I quickly e-mailed her on my mobile phone and gave her my number. She replied immediately, telling me how pleasantly surprised she was to see me there. She was in London on sabbatical leave to further her studies. We quickly scheduled a lunch together to catch up further.

Reading newspaper in the train. Look at that, the new England coach who was appointed at Wembley Stadium yesterday!

Spent a few good hours in Primark. Managed to stock up my work clothes. Farah called me at 10:30am to ask if I still wanted to go to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of guards. Guess what, I was still in the fitting room, busy trying clothes! So we decided to give it a pass. Farah and Kak Minie then came to Primark to join me shopping.

Got out of Primark with several big brown paper bags. Returned to our room to drop off our worldly goods and headed out again. Next destination was Kensington Palace, famously knows as the home of the late Princess Diana a.k.a. Farah’s adopted mum.

William III of Orange welcomed me to the palace. He lived there with his wife Mary II, who jointly reigned with him.

The seat and desk belonged to Queen Victoria.

The walkway leading to Princess Diana’s section. The walls were decorated with sketches of her.

Among all her glamorous outfits, the palace chose to exhibit this one. Felt so proud!

Princess Minie heading into Royalty Only suite :-p

This chandelier’s design looked strange to me. Looked like pieces of scrap metal put together to become a lamp.

If you have the talent (or luck), try “The Game of Court”, an 18th century card game.

The King’s Gallery, which was decorated for King George I in 1727.

Imagining myself as a princess in a golden cage, wondering what the subjects were doing out there.

You don’t like my palace? Kiss my royal ass!

Farah hearts Princess Diana!

Walking through the Cradle Walk. Originally built in 1909. Destroyed by a storm in 1987. Recently refurbished to its former glory.

The beautiful Sunken Garden. The flowers were planted in rotation – one set of flowers in spring, another set in summer.

If you wish to visit, get in through the glass entrance.

Statue of Queen Victoria, which was sculpted by her daughter Princess Louise for her Golden Jubilee (50 years reign).

A marker of The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Walk. An 11 km walking trail passing by places that are significant in her life, one of it being Kensington Palace.

Standing by the Round Pond, watching the beautiful swans.

We left Kensington Palace and all its glory, yet we hanged on to Princess Diana’s memory and headed to the department store owned by her boyfriend’s dad – Harrods! I entered the green canopied building with 3 specific missions:

1) Buy 3 handbags, 3 shopping bags and 2 wallets on behalf my officemates.
2) Eat macarons at Ladurée.
3) Meet Madam S, my former colleague whom I saw earlier at the train station.

Decided to go for number 2 first and asked Madam S to meet me there for number 3. Then only I would have energy to do number 1.

Peeking out from Ladurée’s private dining area. Just look at the long queue of people wanting to buy their famous macarons!

Since we were having lunch there, I ordered some for desert. Best flavor? Pistachio.

Me and Madam S. We hadn’t seen each other for more than 3 years!

It was really great catching up with her. Too bad we were both in a rush, I still had to do number 3 and she had to pick up her kids from school by 6pm. So after lunch we quickly went to find the stuffs. Fortunately Madam S was with me and she knew exactly where to go to get what, so I didn’t have to waste time looking around. Done with Harrods, we part ways and promised to keep in touch.

With two super huge Harrods plastic bags in my hands, I headed to the shop I wanted to go to the most – Lillywhites! Got myself a pair of Nike running shoes and a pair of Sketchers sandals. Also a Manchester United jersey on behalf of my cousin. Another huge plastic bag to carry.

I returned to the room to dump the worldly goods (again) and headed out (again). By then it was about 8pm. Time to return to Primark for last minute shopping and tax refund. By the time I was done, another big brown paper bag safely hanged on my arm. So many items bought, so little money spent. I love Primark!

Returned to the room tired, hungry and anxious about how I would fit all the stuffs in my suitcase. After a long shower and good dinner, I started packing. It took me several hours to sort them out. Finally, everything that needed to go inside suitcase went safely inside the suitcase. Though I sadly had to leave one item behind...


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


Goodbye, my sexy black babies. Rest in peace T_T

Though we only spent a few days together...
Though you looked really great on me...
Despite hurting my feet with your hard wooden soles...
I just had to say goodbye to you...
Because I needed space in my suitcase...
And I didn’t think I would wear you again back in KL...
Plus, it did ache rather bad when walked in you for too long...
Anyway, you were the best GBP 4 I had ever spent!

9 comments:

JaJa'Z said...

wah! betul2 sakan punya shopping yek.kalau mcm dieya..shopping baju2 kerja ok la kot..mcm akak kan kerja mmg pakai baju kurung jek...aww...sensored la gambo satu tu...ekekek...sian black baby..baru je beli dah kena tinggal...kenapa tak sub kat sapa2 jek...?

Messy Mummy said...

hebat la bab2 shopping tuh.. mm masa lalu primark kat london mcm jakun sbb semua keluar stock beg besau2 dan banyak. pastu bila lalu kat birm punya pun sama.. last2 masuk gak tengok. rupa2nya... patutla semua borong beriya. mmg murah n mm rasa mmg worth it kalau habis banyak duit kat situ pun... tapinya mm idok ler.. ddk umah jer tak yah baju banyak2 mcm org keje :)

you know what babe, all the places you go.. termasuk wembley semua tuh mm tak pegi... harrods tak pegi.. mcm makan hati gak sbb x banyak masa.. doa2 kan mm dpt pegi lagi yer ;)

err.. kesian ur sexy babies... sadis sungguh jln cerita dia selepas bejasa... lol..

dieya said...

k jaja,
baju ofis kat kl ni mahal. so bila jumpa primark yg super murah tu, apa lagi, boronggg!
gambo censored tu ditujukan khas buat k jaja :-D
takde sapa nak di sub kan kat sana. setakat boots GBP 4 tu bg diorg 4 hengget jek, bila2 bleh dapat. lgpun tak berapa comfortable, mcm tak sesuai lah nak bg org.

mm,
memang berbaloi2 sgt shopping kat primark, especially baju keje. kalu dok kat rumah pun ok, boleh beli baju2 casual yg cantik2 dan murah2.
alalala kesiannya mm. nx time kena pegi laa wembley tu. kalau gi harrods usha2 diorg punya own brand esp. bags, cantik2 juga. sure babe, i pray that you'll get to go there again visit all the places u want to!
hahaha.. boleh tulis kisah "aku sepasang kasut" mcm zaman skolah dulu :-D

cik selamah kundang said...

best gila dieya asyik jalan ja.syok betul tengok.

dieya said...

csk,
thanks babe! jalan2 memang best. yg tak best bila balik tgk credit card bill.. ohh.. garu kepala sebentar!

ZuNas77 said...

OMG..bkn u je terkejut..i yg tgk gambar SAA dgn anak2 pun terkejut gila...nasib tak jatuh lappy i nih..hahaha..wahh..gila dah lama u tak jmpa dia kan..the best part igt lagi email address dia tuh!!..kekeke

bestnya shopping2 sakan.....

dieya said...

zu,
hahaha i dah agak u mesti tergezut punya! kalu lappy u jatuh.. apa lagik.. macbook pro satu :-D
mmg lama sgt i x jumpa dia. mmg tergezut gegiler when i saw her n the boys kat seberang landasan tu. the world is really super small!

PatinPasta said...

Dieya,
Kalo bab2 shopping ni mesti best kalo ajak you teman ek? Hehe!

I thought I read you wrong when you mentioned that you had to leave the sexy black boots there. Next time kena bawak suitcase sehabis besor :D

dieya said...

aida,
boleh sajaaa! i suka shopping utk org lain. avoids me from shopping for my own :-D
you didn't read me wrong. how i wished i could bring them babies home! tapi apakan daya, sudahlah suitcase penuh, berat pulak tu.
nak cari suitcase besar yg boleh berjalan sendiri. ada tak?