A few days ago I read on Aya’s blog about her friend who became a victim of snatch theft at One Utama’s surau. I found it to be very disturbing as:
- It happened at a surau.
- It was at One Utama, not some back alley kedai runcit.
- The victim’s purse was snatched while she was doing wudhu.
- The snatcher was smartly dressed in pants, vest and tudung.
- And - get this - she even took away the victim’s tudung!
Gone were the days where petty thieves at suraus stole shoes while no one was looking. Apparently they have graduated to committing face-to-face crime!
Then yesterday, Zuzu e-mailed to me a video of two guys on a bike unsuspectingly approached a car, smashed the window, took away a bag and sped off. Watch it.
It all happened in mere seconds! While the car was stationary at traffic light! Scary!
Apparently the incident took place at the u-turn on Sprint Highway near Section 16. Watching the video was so surreal as I used to drive on the very same stretch many times to go to Zuzu’s old place. And I used to think it was the nicest highway in town.. wide lanes, smooth surface, upscale surrounding, strategic exit points.. what more can a driver ask for (or so I thought)?
Well, now I know we need to ask for one additional thing: A police patrol car rounding the area every now and then!
Note to self:
1. Lock all doors the moment I enter Dobby
2. Never put my purse or laptop bag or even shopping bag on the seat
3. Red traffic light is not the time to reply SMS or change the CD or play with Dobby’s info screen.
4. Must keep both eyes on my surroundings, at all times!