why there?

Why Buenos Aires and Cape Town? Why not London and Paris? Or New York and Los Angeles? Why did I choose to go to places where only a handful of Malaysians had been to?

Because I wanted to. I had always knew that for my first ever staff annual privilege ticket I wanted to go to the furthest destination that a MAS flight could take me to. So it was either Los Angeles or Buenos Aires. Like I told you a couple of entries back, before every trip I do lots of background research. Here are several contrasting facts between the two destinations that I found out:

1) A flight to Los Angeles transits in Taipei and crosses the Pacific Ocean to North America, vice-versa. A flight to Buenos Aires transits in Cape Town and crosses the Atlantic Ocean to South America,vice-versa.

2) To simplify, to go to Los Angeles we fly to the right of Peninsular Malaysia (towards Borneo), but to go to Buenos Aires we fly to the left of Peninsular Malaysia (towards Sumatra).

3) Travelling to Los Angeles requires a visa to enter the US. Getting it is a rigorous process. Need to fill in pages after pages of forms, line up by the roadside in front of the US embassy under the hot sun, attend the interview session... yadda... yadda... yadda... definitely not what I want to do, especially with MBA stuffs filling up any free time I have. On the contrary, travelling to Buenos Aires does not require a visa. Just bring your passport and you are good to go.

4) A trip to Los Angeles gives me the option to spend a few days in Taipei. Meanwhile, a trip to Buenos Aires allows me to spend a few days in Cape Town. Cape Town, people, Cape Town! The host of this year's World Cup! Get my point?

5) The distance from Kuala Lumpur to Los Angeles is about 11,000km. The distance from Kuala Lumpur to Buenos Aires is about 13,000km. I did mention the "furthest destination" factor, right?

6) I speak basic Spanish and I seek the thrill of making myself understood by native Spanish speakers. I know that many people in Los Angeles speak Spanish, but still, it's America, everyone speaks English. Needless to say, Buenos Aires is a direct opposite. Everybody speaks Spanish and only a small number speaks English.

7) Messi is from Argentina ;-)

Need I say more?

So to Buenos Aires and Cape Town we go!

10 comments:

JaJa'Z said...

miss u la dearrr..cepat2 la balik.....

PatinPasta said...

Dieya,
Nih dah balik ke belum nih? Tak sabar nak dengo al kisah speaking dengan mat-mat Argen. :D

leili said...

dieya,
i envy u, kalau bleh nak ikut gak....

ninie said...

dieya...
lama tunggu u update...
take care dear...safe jrny!!

dieya said...

k jaja,
miss u too laa! tapi belum nak balik lagi, nak meneruskan pengembaraan ke Cape Town pulak :-D

aida,
belum! 2moro last day in BA, then flying off to CT. nanti ye cerita ceriti pasal suku sakat señor tomi kan sini.. hihihi!

leili,
jom! sempat lagi join ni, i see u at cape town wokey?

ninie,
thanks a bunch! :-) sorry lambat, sibuk berjalan.. hihihi!

dyanna said...

finally i learn something at no 7.

kish said...

dieya - kish terpikir point last tu je why u chose Buenos Aires. :) wish you enjoy every bits of your travelling!

dieya said...

dyanna,
finally! kat sini byk museum juga, reminds me of u :-) i bet u'll love it here!

kish,
hahaha! no. 7 tu yg paling penting, even tho org nya skrg nun jauh kat barcelona :-D

dyanna said...

Okay "D'oh!" moment for me...
how could I forget that he plays for Argentina during World Cup that happened 5 months ago! siap Maradona jadi coach lagi tu..

dieya said...

dyanna,
now you remember! :-D