have you paid your zakat?

Yesterday I received a mail from Pusat Pungutan Zakat Majlis Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan (PPZ-MAIWP) saying thank you for paying zakat through internet during their online zakat promo period. The truth is I didn’t even know that there was a promo when I made the payment. All I knew was that my zakat payment was way overdue and I should take advantage of the holy month of Ramadhan to clear at least part of it.


The letter of appreciation.

I think this line sounds so sweet:

“...disertakan bersama ini cenderahati eksklusif dari PPZ-MAIWP sebagaimana yang telah dijanjikan...”

Yes, they do keep their promise! Takkan majlis agama nak menipu pulak ye tak? ;-)

A friend once told me, if you never pay zakat and suddenly something is taken away from you without your consent, consider that the zakat money that you’re supposed to pay. Therefore, you might as well pay it so that your contribution would be rightfully distributed, rather than having it fallen into wrong hands!

Some people argue that one majlis agama is better than the other at managing zakat money. Some say that it’s better to pay zakat within the area where you earn your salary. Some say that you should remit it to the majlis agama at your hometown so you can help your kampung folks.

As for me, it’s all about convenience. PPZ-MAIWP has been accepting online zakat payment much earlier than other majlis agama in the country, which is the main reason why I choose it. Previously you have to register yourself with them before payment can be made, now no more. You can make the payment via Maybank2u or CIMB Clicks, just like how you pay your electricity bills. They are also very efficient in sending receipts (within 14 days of online payment date), which is important for tax deduction. And they give away useful souvenirs, such as the table calendar that I got last year.

So what “cenderahati eksklusif” did I get from the online payment promo?


Tadaaa... a mouse pad :-) Shukran PPZ-MAIWP!

I’m 99% sure that I won’t be using it anytime, as I still love my current one. Furthermore it’s a bit too small. Maybe I’ll use it as a coaster instead!

8 comments:

JaJa'Z said...

sebenarnya byar kat mana2 pun takpe..janji menda yang wajib tu kita kena sempurnakan..kalau tak, dah jadi berdosa lah kan...

Mamamya said...

alhamdulillah....syukran2...

zakat mesti kene bayar..klu x.. x berkat rezeki bagi anak isteri makan kan....

dieya said...

k jaja,
betul2 yang penting bayar, tak kisah laa thru which channel kan. owh lupa nak cerita, pegawai zakat kat kaunter masjid negara tu hensem ;-) tapi coz i pay it online takleh laa usha.. kurang dosa.. hahaha!

k lieya,
yeah kena sucikan harta kan. dulu dieya takde kesedaran pun nak bayar zakat coz kerja ngan company omputih sapa laa nak sedarkan kita. since masuk MAS ni baru dpt cahaya keimanan (cewahhh!) coz selalu je majlis agama buka kaunter kat sini.

niSamiR said...

i byr thru potongan gaji monthly( so that lebeh dpd income tax )...if byr lum sum takut duit tu pegi mana2 ntah kan...btw..for me...better byr to zakat dpd to income tax kan...hehehe..

~jeet~ said...

me too, i dah buat potongan gaji, so x terasa sgt ;)

dieya said...

nisa,
i don't do potongan gaji, hence kena bayar secara manual. bayar zakat dapat claim income tax.. hahaha!

jeet,
betul laa kalu bayar lumpsum mcm i mmg terasa segedebuk gitu!

JaJa'Z said...

cait! dan lagi kau mengusha2 ek...

dieya said...

k jaja,
hehehe.. sudah ada di depan mata.. pandang je laa kan, takkan nak tutup mata lak ;-)