how to eat mangosteen

Another early morning. Woke up at 5am and drove all the way from my hometown to the office. Hence my mind is a little bit weary. Fortunately my work involves numbers, lots of numbers. It’s almost impossible to fall asleep while crunching numbers unless your brain totally shuts down.

Since it’s fruit season, let’s talk about fruits. Local fruits. Like mangosteens. I love eating mangosteens. When I was small, I used to follow my late grandma plucking mangosteens from trees around her house using a long bamboo pole.

Eating mangosteens is a dirty job, especially for a kid. The red ink from the fruit’s skin would get all over my hands, my face and eventually my shirt. And stain wouldn’t come off the fabric, no matter how much Dynamo or Breeze or Clorox you threw into the washing machine. So to avoid getting scolded, I would purposely wear my most worn-out shirt. At least if I went home looking like I just came out of a warzone, I could just throw away the shirt for good.

I got a forwarded e-mail on how one can eat mangosteen in a more civilized (kontrol ayu laa konon) way. These days they have manuals for everything, even how to eat a fruit!


Follow the steps and you’ll be fine :-p

A colleague told me that mangosteen skin is worth a lot of money. The price of a standard size bottle of mangosteen skin extract can go to RM 70! Apparently it’s good for people with thyroid disorder.


Photo credit to Asiaone.

Tried that juice when it first came out in the market. Too sour for my liking.

Can healthy drinks ever be tasty?

10 comments:

Liza said...

and that is why despite having an education background in accounting, i can't seem to do accounting as a profession...one sign, numbers crunching will definitely make me fall a sleep

JaJa'Z said...

jus tu mcm akak penah minum..tapi agak masam la..so, pastu we all tak beli dah...

Siti Roffini said...

Looks rather complicated to me, the six steps, but fascinating, nevertheless. I will experiment with it the next time a mangosteen comes my way.

dieya said...

k liza,
perhaps u r not meant to be a full-fledged accountant, but u surely can be an excellent conflict resolver!

k jaja,
betul laa, that juice mmg masam tak ingat. tu je laa sekali beli pasal nak try, pastu takmo dah beli lagi.

aunty siti,
do try it and let me know if it's really as easy as it looks :-D

Aida Rezuan said...

Dieya,

Hmm.. maybe can just try making your own juices? Somehow I feel that no matter how attractive the labels are (in sense of product name, no sugar added and so on), it's healthier to make on our own. Plus, somebody already bought that expensive juice make, right? Hehe!

dieya said...

aida,
hahaha u remembered the juicer! u know what i used it less than 5 times and shoooh it went into the cabinet. should hv listened to other when they said don't buy it.
lelong.. lelong..ada sapa2 nak beli juicer secondhand?

Aida Rezuan said...

Dieya,

OF COURSE maa! Siap dengan gambo skali tuh! Hehe!

But I think you did good buying the juice maker, you know. It's a very useful machice, once you get the hang of using it. Nak membasuh bagai tuh, adat la kan.. tapi lama2 nanti, dah tak rasa apa.

Simpan dulu juice maker tuh, buleh buat weapon untuk Mr. CC nanti. Mana tau, buleh hadiahkan ke.. kan? Kan? :D

dieya said...

aida,
hahaha part basuh yg paling menyampah.. the fibres go everywhere! i even got a small brush just to clean up the juicer. after a while, tak kuasa nak layan dah.
amboi2 tak habis2 nak sakat i yek! what weapon should i make? orange and celery juice? senang ke toilet tu hahaha! tersedak laa mr. cc berbuka hari ni, ada org nun jauh di sana dok sebut nama dia :-p

Aida Rezuan said...

Dieya,

Hmm.. since leceh nak membasuh bagai, why don't just pack the juice maker and kasik kat dia. Buleh jumpa terus, kan? :D

* weapon gak tuh!
** orange + celery = juice elok ke toilet ye?

dieya said...

aida,
hahaha aida u r so full of ideas! yeah orange + celery blended together mmg weapon utk senang ke toilet. just hv to tahan bau yg agak stinky and warna juice yg sungguh tak menarik. try it!