banci or benci?

Have your house been visited by people from the government’s Census Department a.k.a. “pegawai banci”? They have tried to “banci” my crib not once or twice but three times and so far I’ve dodged all their attempts. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against these people doing their work to get accurate statistics of Malaysian population. After all I’m sure the findings will be useful to assist the government in making policies, passing bills of law, planning the nations economy etc. But what irks me is how the data collection is done.

First and foremost, I don’t like opening my door to strangers, unless you are from DHL or McDonalds. I have no problem leaving someone ringing the doorbell for hours, especially when I’m not expecting any guest. If you are my friends or family, you will surely call my phone or scream my name to get me to open the door. If my phone doesn’t ring and I don’t hear my name, then you can press the bell and knock on the door for as long as you wish, I still won’t be bothered to entertain you.

Secondly, I hate disclosing sensitive information to people Ì don’t even know. A colleague at work told me the “pegawai banci” who visited her house didn’t only ask her for the number of people living there, but also personal information like household income and so on. How confident am I that those interviewers will not use the information in malicious intent? I’m NOT confident at all, especially knowing how gossipy Malaysians are. Even Dato’ Siti Nurhaliza’s IC copy has been freely distributed around the net, resulting in the public knowing how many cars that she own and whether she has paid her summons, simply by keying-in her IC number into JPJ’s website!

Thirdly, at the age where everything is i-something or e-something, don’t tell me there’s no better way for the Census Department to collect data than going from door to door! Can’t they make a website where we can login and answer the questions there? At least we know that our responses are truly captured by the government and we don’t have to disclose sensitive information to some strangers that claim themselves to be census officers. Who knows how well they are going to protect our personal data? Will they talk about it with their friends while hanging out at mamak joint? Will they gossip about who live where with whom and how much we earn? Are they going to succumb us to the risk of becoming the next rape or robbery victim? Nauzubillah!

Therefore, until and unless the Census Department improve the way they do “banci” up to the level that I’m confident to disclose my personal information, I’m NOT going to respond to any of their questions.


A letter they left under my door after their first attempt, saying that they would come again the next day.


Another letter after their second attempt, another next day appointment.

Didn’t receive any letter after their third attempt last Tuesday, only continuous doorbell ring. Perhaps the officer in charge already got the idea that I didn’t open my door on purpose.

The next time this exercise happens (perhaps in 10 years or so), I hope there will be better “banci” and lesser “benci”!

9 comments:

Mamamya said...

akak setuju with yr suggestion...mmg x suka org yg x di kenali dtg ke umah...pintu pagar & grill umah mmg sentiasa b'kunci...skrg mcm2 ragam org...

apa salahnya buat bancian secara online kan....

dieya said...

k lieya,
tu laa kan zaman sekarang ni bukan boleh senang2 trust orang. penculik laa.. perompak laa.. perogol laa.. macam2! duduk diam2 dalam rumah kunci pintu pun ada juga orang dok ganggu.
thanks for supporting me! ye laa kata nak jadi negara maju by 2020, everything's on our fingertips. tapi bila banci still sibuk ketuk pintu rumah orang.. apaaalahhh!
buat banci online kan bagus, pantas dan selamat!

ZuNas77 said...

Biasalah Nadiah, mana boleh buat online kalau bkn AF or any reality show yg dah kutip byk duit tuh. benda2 gitu suma laju je buat cara IT yg mudah nih. takde plak diaorg ketuk pintu umah sorang2 mintak undi. hahahaha

JaJa'Z said...

kat area umah akak ni memang orang banci dok ligat dtg..tapi umah akak memang tak kena lagi la..sebab dtg time kerja sapa yg nak buka pintu kan..lain la jenjiran akak ni yang suri umah tangga..

tapi dr cerita yang diaorang bagitau akak..bukan setakat soalan yang sepatutnya jek diaorang tanya..siap tanya astro ada tak? ada microwave ke tak? semua ahli keluarga pakai hp ke tak? apa kejadahla soalan2 macam tu...

nampak macam teruk je bila dah tanya soalan2 mcm tu..setakat tanya kerja apa, or total income berapa or brapa bil ahli keluarga tahan la lagi..ni soalan jauh menyimpang yg diaorang tanya..

dieya said...

zu,
hahaha btol2, mentang2 tak bleh panggil hotlink ke power root jadi penaja rancangan, tak mampu nak buat online website yek. you know what tadi i got one sms from maxis saying that banci is going on, sila beri kerjasama. macam tau2 jek i ni takmo bagi kerjasama :-D

k jaja,
haaa? ada ke tanya soalan microwave, astro semua tuh? apa kaitan? ni buat banci ke buat survey cari sasaran buat direct selling?
kal kl ni pegawai banci dia bijak sikit, datang around maghrib time org baru balik kerja. that day i got from work dia tgh banci jiran depan rumah. cepat2 masuk kunci pintu, tapi sah2 dia dah nampak kita dah balik kan. so apa lagi a few minutes lepas tu bertalu2 loceng berbunyi!
kalu pegawai banci tanya soklan pelik2 tu kat k jaja, cuba tanya balik kat dia "brand seluar dalam saya takmo tanya ke?" :-D

JaJa'Z said...

hahahha..ok gak tu kan..tapi sekali kalau dia cakap " saya nak tgk bley?" ha!!! mcm mana tu..harap2 diaorang tak dtg la on weekend..menyemak jek..bukan tak suka diaorang jalankan kerja..tapi nampak mcm tersasar jek dr sepatutnya...

dieya said...

k jaja,
hahaha tu baru betul punya daring! itulah kan apa agaknya motif diorang tanya soalan2 tak berkaitan tu, only they know. or even they don't know, main tanya jek ikut skrip!

Liza said...

i am all for the online banci, i will not open my gate especially if MBH not at home, nowadays, trust no one!

dieya said...

k liza,
yeah! trust no one! if those bad people can fake being astro technicians, jawi officers, even policemen.. what more as pegawai banci!