The above scenario depicts what can or will happen when online banking identity gets stolen. Whoever does this evil act of crime has a simple intention - to trick unassuming public like you and me into disclosing our username and password and steal our money. Lately I have been receiving a lot of these mails, some from banks I don’t even have an account with. I bet many of you have too. And I’m sure we are all smart enough NOT to entertain such e-mails.
To make the fake e-mail convincing, it often has the usual things we would expect from a legitimate e-mail:
- The bank's logo
- The bank's name as sender
- A link with the bank's name in it for you to click on
But what we usually fail to consider is that:
- Putting a bank is a logo in an e-mail is a simple cut-and-paste job
- Sender's name can always be changed
- The link in the e-mail may not match the URL of the page it leads to
Now let's see these two e-mails I received yesterday.
So-called e-mail from Public Bank
(1) Why on earth would the bank use Yahoo mail?!
(2) The link looks exactly like the bank’s real link, but let’s see what happens when I click on it…
(3) It goes here! This is NOT Public Bank’s website!
So-called e-mail from Maybank
(1) Sender's name and address look valid, but don't be fooled.
(2) The English is haywire! Grammar, punctuations and use of capitals - all sorts of childish mistakes everywhere! A reputable organization like Maybank doesn’t make these mistakes. Ever.
(3) Once again, the link looks valid, let’s try clicking on it…
(4) Well, no surprise this time, it’s NOT the bank’s website. The so-called Maybank URL at the end of the address is just there to fool you.
All in all, I would say the fake job on Maybank looks a bit more professionally executed (technical-wise, minus the English mistakes) than the one on Public Bank. Nevertheless, they are both FAKE, so BEWARE.
Just remember one thing, never ever go to your bank's website via a link from any e-mail. Always open a new window and TYPE THE ADDRESS yourself.
It may take you a minute longer, but it saves you from losing your entire life saving!