oh bummer

Bummer bummer bummer. Can’t believe it happened. It’s my fault. All mine, no one else’s. Feel like slapping myself on the face. Oh wait, I already have.

If there’s one thing in life that I’m really good at, it’s making plans and sticking to it. I’ve looked at the dates, not once, but many times. I’ve weighed all the options. I’ve analyzed the consequences. I’ve factored in many different possibilities. I thought I’ve got everything covered. So when things fail to materialize just because of one tiny miny weeny oversight, it’s incredibly disappointing. With a capital D.

Ever since I started my MBA, I’ve decided to do 2 subjects in long semesters and 1 subject in short (special) semesters. Which means 5 subjects a year (2 long semesters +1 short semester = 1 academic year). I have to complete 15 subjects in total, hence I should be able to finish them all in 3 years. Then I can concentrate on my thesis. The maximum time given to finish everything is 5 years. Most students do it in 2.5 years, taking 3 subjects in long semesters and 1 in short semesters. Unlike them, I don’t want to rush things. As I’ve said many times before, I want to enjoy the learning process. I want to be able to look back at this experience as say “Hey, it’s fun to do MBA, you should do it too.” After all, it’s not the only thing that’s happening in my life right now, I want to do other things too.


This is taken from the program book given to us on registration day. I’m now in Semester II, which will be ending on 9 May 2010. Then there will be a semester break for 8 weeks, or for those opting to do short semester 7 weeks will be taken out of that.

Look at the dates for semester break - from 10 May 2010 to 4 July 2010. Then look at the dates for short semester’s lectures and examinations - from 10 May 2010 to 27 June 2010. Therefore the break for those doing short semester should be from 28 June 2010 to 4 July 2010. At least that was what I thought, until I saw this e-mail from UM GSB in my inbox today:


Imagine my horror when I saw the actual break is going to be one week later, and the week that I thought should be the break is actually the examination week! Guess what, I’ve already made plans for that week. I’ve put in my commitment. I’ve said my promise. I can’t pull back. In fact, I don’t want to pull back. I’ve been looking forward to that week for a long time. So what else is left for me to do? I’ve to forgo my plan to do short semester this round *sigh*. All because one stupid presumption. That, ladies and gentlemen, is my big fat bummer.

I’m upset. I really am and I know it showed on my face when I was in class today. It sucks. A classmate told me it’s ok, just take the 2 months off, there’s nothing I can do about it anyway. He’s right. Still, I feel like crap. I should know better than to trust the dates blindly. I should have checked with the admin office. I should have asked my seniors how it was like in previous years. All the “I shoulds” pop up in my head, one after another. What makes matters worse is seeing my friends choosing subjects for short semester. One guy even plans to do 2 subjects, which means 2 classes on weeknights and 1 on weekend. Being around people who just can’t wait to finish their MBA as soon as possible makes me want to do the same. I’m suddenly in the mood to compete.

But wait a minute, didn’t I plan to take it slow and steady? Didn’t I say that I want to enjoy the journey? So what’s the rush? I have 5 years to finish it anyway. Heck, I can just do 3 subjects in a year instead of 5 and still graduate on time. But do I really want to do that?

Perhaps I’m overanalyzing things. Perhaps I’m thinking too much. It’s just one lonely subject, for goodness sake. So what if I can’t do it this short semester? There are still many more semesters to go, both short and long. Perhaps there’s blessing behind all this. Strike that off, I KNOW there’s blessing behind all this.

Have faith.

After all, didn’t the tortoise finish the race first?

3 comments:

Aida Rezuan said...

Awww.. sorry to hear that. *Pats Dieya on the shoulder..

Like you said, got many more semesters to go. So try to cheer up :)

LiFe Is BeAuTifUl LyRiC said...

MBA @ UM ker??.. kenal Kartini Ismail.. previously my officemate & geng study @ library UM. Now. dia tgh buat thesis.

Btw, relax arr Dieya.. no need to rush. Nothing easy kan??

Me hv to let go banyak mender2 in my life in order to complete my MSE.

PS. Ttb jer risau my dissertation result..

dieya said...

aida,
thanks, i feel so much better after a round of movie and shopping :-) yeah, many more semesters, i should stay positive!

libl,
hmm.. macam tak kenal. kalau tgh buat thesis mesti dia dah ambik semua subjects. so most probably i won't see her in class. itulah, nothing's easy. good luck with your thesis! dah nak abis ek? jelesnya!