03-79482818 - stop calling me!

I have been getting calls from this number - 03-79482818 - for many months now. It started with one missed call after another, as the caller often rang me when I was up to my nose with work and in no mood to entertain calls from strangers. I hardly ever return a missed call from an identified number, so I had no idea who called. Then when I finally got a chance to pick up the phone, there was no one at the other end, which happened several times. Very annoying.

I Googled the number and found out that several Malaysians had experienced the same thing. Some of them tried calling the number, but nobody picked up. One person said she finally found out who was the culprit - it was Celcom, trying to promote their business. Ever since then I made a point to ignore calls from this number.

Yesterday, the call came in again. Out of curiosity, I decided that I should try to pick it up. I just wanted to make sure it was really Celcom who keep disturbing people’s lives.

Caller: Hello, is this [my full name, including surname]?
Me: *Shocked that he knows my full name* Yes. What is it about?
Caller: I’m calling from Celcom. Do you have some time to talk?
Me: *Feels like cursing Celcom in five languages* Not now. I’m busy.
Caller: Ok, I will call you again. Thank you.

True enough, he called me again circa 6pm.

Sorry Celcom, I’m not interested. If you keep harassing me this way, I’m running further away. Congratulations for successfully applying the worst ever marketing approach in history - calling people during their working hours, again, and again, and again. I wish you luck in attracting new customers that way, though I seriously doubt that.

5 comments:

niSamiR said...

ohh..me once got a called from so-called celcom with private no on it...konon nak bagi i 5k and wanted my bank acct no but the funniest thing was, he talked in "our neighbour" language..funny right?then i disconnected trus the calls..

dieya said...

omigod.. nampak sangat prank call. who on earth would want to give someone money for no reason, let alone 5k???
i paling menyampah bila telemarketers call. credit card laa, club membership laa, insurance laa.. tak kuasa nak layan!

Tawel Sensei said...

I believe, you are not the only one..
- http://zaralyssa.tumblr.com/post/179455509
- http://eforum3.cari.com.my/viewthread.php?tid=465580

knitfreak-to-be said...

Way to go Celcom!! they really put an effort there, and you did help them by giving this bad publicity..hahaha....
I wonder is it a real Celcom ppl or not, cos people nowadays can do scam in ways that we could only imagine, good to be careful!!

dieya said...

tawel,
unbelievable! they have been doing this for so long?! that post on Cari Forum explains exactly how annoying it is (wonder if the victim really made a police report against celcom?). yeah, i'm definitely not the only one.

azita,
hahaha! i wonder which marketing school these ppl go to. itulah.. these days mmg tak bleh layan all these prank calls. scams everywhere!