when mum n dad's friends get married

Last Sunday my mum wore a pair of red baju kurung on CNY, which came across as really strange to me, as I couldn’t remember her wearing baju kurung on CNY ever. My brother asked why she did that, she said she had to attend a wedding in the afternoon. My dad chipped in, “Kawan dia kahwin, ada lagi rupanya kawan dia yang tak kahwin!” Hahaha.. I honestly never thought at this age I would be hearing of my mum’s friend getting married! My mum quickly corrected him, the pengantin isn’t really her “friend” per se, the bride is actually a cook at the orphanage where my mum does her charity work.

Then yesterday my dad told me his friend Dato’ M is getting married. Aik? Musim kawan-kawan mak ayah aku kahwin ke? I was like, is he getting a second wife? Gosh, I bet my mum will never let my dad attend the reception, ever! She doesn’t even like it when my dad’s friends who have more than one wives come to visit. Attending a wedding of a man who’s marrying a second wife? Over her dead body!

So I asked my dad, Dato’ M nak kahwin lagi ke? My dad said no, he actually lost his wife 3 years ago. The lady he’s marrying is a career woman in her 50s, not some up and coming 20-year-old actress with one drama and many scandals ;-) They met through work. Good for him. Good for my dad too, dapatlah dia tengok his friend kahwin. Mum will have no qualms about attending the reception, she’s all into this romantic stuff.

Just last year, another of my mum’s friend got married. I’ve known Auntie K since I was a kid. She got married to a widower whom she met through friends. Dulu Auntie K ni kaki holiday, selalu ajak my mum berjalan sana sini. Now that she’s married, I haven’t heard my mum mentioning Auntie K inviting her for a holiday anymore. Sibuk jaga hubby dia kot.

The funny thing is, while my parents’ friends are struck by cupid, not many of my own friends getting married of late. Those who are already married either stay married or got divorced, some even remarried, all before the age of 30. Scary eh? Macam mana laa yg single mingle ni tak fobia nak kahwin dengar cerita gini. Speaking of which, those who are not married are enjoying single life (yours truly included) while waiting for the right man/woman + moment + courage to take the plunge. Not many are in between (i.e. engaged or getting married soon), as far as I can recall only 3 people I know are in that stage currently.

I remember one of my friends quoted Nasha Aziz’s (the gorgeous model/actress) words, “When I was young I targeted to be married by the age of 24. Now that it has long passed and I’m still not married, I don’t care anymore.” I’m not sure if Nasha really did say that as my friend said she read it somewhere, by "somewhere" it could have been anywhere from entertainment magazines to celebrity blogs to tabloid papers, so don’t count on the legitimacy. But, true or otherwise, those words do make some sense.

The point is, when life gives you lemons, you can either make a sour face, or you can make lemonades!

8 comments:

knitfreak-to-be said...

I chose to make lemonade!! cheers to all single ladies out there, yes you and me sista!! ;)

dieya said...

yeay! high five babe! *dancing in the rain*

liya said...

COmel je dgr cete your parents tu. Smg Dieya jumpa jodoh yg sesuai, the time will come, insyaAllah=) Enjoy your single life as much as you can, just do what you want or like to do as long as its not against religion. because once you have a family, responsibility sgtlah byk...

dieya said...

thanks for the prayers liya!
i am enjoying my single life very much :-)

Erin said...

betul, dah xda kwn2 yg kawen dah...xpyh g wedding dah haha. skrg kwn2 tgh menambah koleksi anak je hihi..

dieya said...

hey u r back! how was BTN? seronots? photos please! upload kat fb kay?

hahaha.. bagus juga.. unlike two three yrs ago lari bajet aku beli hadiah org kawin ;-)

Erin said...

yup, juz got back yesterday. bolehlaa, tp penat...very unfit haha. sorry babe, no photos YET sbb kamera org. kalo ada akn diupload.

p/s: no mr cc lah, only uncle c haha..

dieya said...

alamak, uncle c eh.. too bad ;-) lain kali suruh diorg buat BTN kat kem sungai udang, ramai sket eye candy for u to usha.. hahahaha

looking forward to the photos!