vision board

Have you heard of a vision board? My friend Nafnaf is good at this. She often talks about it on her blog. You can read one of her recent posts here.

I first heard of the concept of vision board in high school. When I was in high school, one of our teachers told us about an American lady who kept a board full of pictures of the things she wished for. Diamonds, sports car, handsome husband etc. After a while she ended up getting what she wanted - she met a handsome guy who worked as diamond dealer and he drove a sports car! To cut the story short, they fell in love, got married and lived happily ever after. Sounds easy, right?

There was also an episode on Oprah about vision board. I remembered one of the guest mentioned that a vision board doesn’t have to come in the form of 2 feet x 4 feet pin board. It can be a nice scrapbook, some pictures you stick on your fridge, stuff you put in an old shoebox etc. I have a friend who downloads photos of the things she likes and keeps them in an album on Facebook. I think that qualifies as a digital vision board.

As I wrote yesterday’s post about my achievements in 2009, I suddenly realized that I actually have some kind of vision board. It is a stack of papers - pamphlets, newspaper cuttings, even my own scribbling - of things that I like. They may look like a bunch of trash to some people, but they are treasure to me.





Look at this 2-page article. If you know me long enough, you know that I’ve always wanted to go to Barcelona, Spain. I saw this newspaper article about travelling to Barcelona a long time ago. I took out the page and kept it with me. Once in a while I would look at it and tell myself “One day, God willing, I will go to this place”. Then I would fold the newspaper page nicely and keep it safe.

Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah, I stepped my feet in beautiful Barcelona about 2 weeks ago. No, it wasn’t fast, nor was it easy. It took a lot of effort to make it happen and of course prayers too. Holiday in Barcelona had been in my new year’s resolution for years, to tell you the truth.


Let's zoom into the top right corner of the first page. The article was published in 2006, I got my wish in 2009.

Another article that I kept with me is about travelling in Europe by train. This one is a bit more recent. It was published in The Star newspaper during MATTA Fair in 2008. I kept this article, wishing that one day I would be able to travel around Europe by train like Europeans do.


Everytime I read this I told myself "I will travel around Europe by train like them". Alhamdulillah, this wish also came true in 2009.

My point is, if you have a dream, don’t expect to materialize right away. Work hard, pray hard and have faith. God willing, it will come true sooner or later.

With that note, I wish everyone a very Happy New Year! May all the things you have in your vision boards come true!

Sticky note: A new entry on my recent adventure is up here. A new country, new city. There's a video at the end that you absolutely must watch!

8 comments:

naf said...

it really works kan! congrats dieya, one day nnt aku akan entry europe tour cam kau. yey!
insyaallah.

Erin said...

i guess i need to start on my vision board :)

dieya said...

naf,
definitely! just look at me as an example. of course laa kalau setakat simpan gambar tapi tak usaha tak jadi juga kan. with the pics we become more motivated to work hard to achieve our dreams!

erin,
yes you should! i bet dlm vision board ko mesti ada peta italy and gambar juve nyer stadium ;-)

dyanna said...

good idea! aku pun nk wat vision board gak..
i collect scraps and pieces of paper and keep them in my journal. like ipod, nokia phones, camera... and i got them all =D
... background wallpaper on laptop pun leh gak kan?

thn ni nk letak apa lak?

what's on your vision board this year?

i guess it does fuel your motivation towards achieving your goals.

dyanna said...

oh hey, btw, great snaps at Spain! will definitely go through your entries.

dieya said...

dyanna, good for you! i do believe vision boards are great motivation, no matter in what form - boards, books, desktop wallpapers - as long you believe in your visions and work hard to achieve them.

i still yet to firm up my new vision board. perhaps a new country to visit (not sure where yet). a new phone (not sure what brand). a new man (all the more unsure what pic to put, brad pitt? carles puyol? rafael nadal?).. hahaha

thanks! the pics are nothing compared to those taken by your professional lenses ^_^ hope you enjoy reading my entries :-)

diyana said...

U know what? I created a vision board on FB on Saturday, put pictures of Hritihik Roshan (2 lagi) on it. True enough, the power of attraction is doing it's magic, last night ZeeTv showed Jodha Akbar on telly. Hrithik Roshan was the dashing hero :P

dieya said...

hritrik?! i didn't know u r into hindi movies :-D
keep that vision board going babe.. i'm sure ur very own hritrik is on his way to find u!!!