a famous church, a cute bookstore and a pretty mosque

We started the day with a visit to Notre Dame de Paris and its surroundings.


This is La Sainte-Chapelle, the first pretty building I saw when I got out of Cité metro station.


At the beginning of Pont Notre Dame that lies across Seine River.


This is Notre Dame. There was a huge Christmas tree in front of the church.


Notre Dame from the side that faces the main road.

Then we went to Shakespeare and Company, the old English bookstore nearby. I saw it on Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe once and I told myself if I ever go to Paris I'll buy a book there and get the infamous stamp.. and I did!


The cute bookstore. Don’t be fooled by the size, it has lots of books.


No better book to buy from the bookstore overlooking Notre Dame than “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”.


Check out the cute stamp!

We then took the metro to Paris Mosque. Hz wanted to perform solat there but I talked him out of it. Before you pass any judgment, hear me out: I didn't want to let him off my sight in foreign land, not even in a mosque. He getting into the men's prayer hall alone is out of the question. I know it's a place of worship, but better be safe than sorry, if anything happens to him while I'm not looking my parents will never forgive me and I will never forgive myself for the rest of my life.

So we decided to just go for a little tour inside, but we reached there during lunch break, it would only reopen at 2pm. The caretaker wouldn't even let us take photos of the beautiful indoor garden. It was too long to wait, so we decided to give the visit a pass.


The side entrance to Grand Mosquée de Paris.


A view of the dome.

We then went to République, a Muslim populated area to grab some lunch. I'll talk about it in my halal feature later.

From there we went back straight to the hotel. Hz was sleepy so he took a nap. I did some packing since we're off to Madrid tomorrow and then took a nap as well. We were supposed to wake up around 6.30pm to continue exploring Paris at night but in the end we woke up at 8pm. It was already dark and windy, so we decided to stay in, finish packing and watch French tv. Perhaps we could squeeze in a visit to one last destination tomorrow before we leave Paris.

2 comments:

knitfreak-to-be said...

u actually walked in that heels?? cayalah...kalo i pakai sports shoe je..hehehe..

dieya said...

yes i did! i actually love wearing heels (as long as i can bear the pain). sports shoes pun pakai juga, bila kaki dah sakit itulah penawar.. hahaha